Our vision for assessment
We believe in the statement that all forms of assessment should be used to improve teaching and learning.
At Elmhurst we believe that the best form of assessment result from ongoing dialogue and interactions with children. Daily interactions are what provide the soundest judgments of pupil progress and are what should inform planning and teaching. We recognise that progress in learning is not linear and therefore children should not be judged solely on the basis of a test.
Where data is gathered, it should also be used as a means to support those children who are underachieving or to extend the most able.
We have agreed on the following principles as the basis of our assessment system
- All forms of assessment should be used to improve teaching and learning.
- Simple to use and understand.
- Testing should be rigorous and reliable
- Underpinned by a knowledge of the curriculum.
- Informs planning and delivery of the curriculum
- Helps a child to recognise the next steps in their learning.
- No unnecessary paperwork that does not contribute to teaching and learning
- Provides reliable information to parents about how their child is doing
- Ensures that Elmhurst is keeping up with external best practice
To see our most up-to-date end of KS2 data, please click here.